Monday, August 27, 2012

Yes, I will do this grad school thing.

Last week was my first of about 60 weeks of graduate schooling. I'm working on a Master of Arts in Human Services (cognate in Marriage and Family) through an accredited online program at a university.

Here are things I have learned thus far:

1. Online grad school is much different than living on a college campus for your undergraduate education. It takes crazy amounts of discipline. Classes involve taped lectures, lots of reading and writing, and interaction with peers through discussion boards. Additionally, there is no way to solidify my place as the Most Detested Student (as Recognized in a Poll Taken of Other Students in the Class) by sitting at the front of the class and asking clarifying questions, prolonging the length of the class. I'm not saying that I ever did that in past educational experiences, but I will say that if someone was going to do that I wouldn't judge her for it because she is paying to be in that class for precisely 100 minutes and everyone else is texting anyway.

2. If I plan to spend 2 hours reading a textbook, I will, in actuality, spend 45 minutes reading that textbook, 15 minutes checking Facebook, 20 minutes adjusting the temperature, lights, and noise level in the room, and 40 minutes taking an impromptu nap.

3. A charming smile gets you nowhere in online classes. No one can see it, and if you use emoticons it's unprofessional and creepy.

4. There is no such thing as too much tea. Or chocolate. Or, apparently, according to my professors, relevant peer-reviewed journal articles that should be read as a supplement to the text. 

As it turns out, this week was actually a bit difficult. After several weeks of being quite unproductive and several years out of the schooling system, regaining the discipline and time management required to succeed in these classes has been (and most likely will continue to be for a time) an uphill climb. Also, while I have a support network, there is no one here to actively cheer me on or call me out during my accidental naps whilst reading about the integration of psychology and theology. It's interesting - really it is - but I'm tired.

I'm tired because I have been training to be your New Favorite Hotel Front Desk Lady every weekday night. That means I get up in the morning to run after the Monkey, "go to class" in the evening, and then head to the hotel from 11pm to 3am. There's time for sleep, but the schedule is more than a little thrown off. By the time I get accustomed to it, it will change and I will only be working nights on the weekends. However that will re-rearrange my sleeping schedule, I am looking forward to it. I'm starting to feel like a narcoleptic.

I will truck on because furthering my education is extremely important to me and I know it will get better. Yes, it is a challenge. Yes, I am exhausted. But I'm going to save the world one of these days, and I'm pretty sure that Mother Theresa had at least a grad degree.

(Upon google stalking Mama T, I have found that this is a lie. Mother Theresa had no education. At all. So logistically, my point is moot. In my heart, though, she has an M.S.ed.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment