Thursday, August 9, 2012

Yes, I will ride in your pontoon illegally.

Let me start off by saying that I do not participate in or condone illegal activities of any kind. I'm a model citizen, as square as that makes me (does using the word 'square' also make me kind of a square?), and I have always intended to live a crime-free lifestyle.

Two months ago, I was pulled over by a state police officer for driving 7 miles per hour over the speed limit. I was completely mortified - not because I had been caught - because I hadn't realized I had been driving so fast. I was given a written warning, and I vowed on that day to never drive the highway without setting my cruise control. I know, we covered this, I'm a square.

When I made plans to see my friend Melissa today, she suggested we go out to the lake on her pontoon boat. She also mentioned casually that she hoped we wouldn't get pulled over, as the boat currently doesn't have the correct licensing sticker. I wanted to go out on the boat, I really did. I also hated the idea of doing something that could get me into trouble.

I have always been a bit perfectionistic. Okay, I have been a lot perfectionistic. I didn't strive for good grades in school, I wanted perfect grades. As a mental health professional, I didn't want my clients to have a helpful counseling session, I wanted them to have the best counseling session they'd ever had in their entire lives every time they met with me. It was a running joke at my last place of work that I looked in the mirror each morning and asked myself if I was wearing something that Jackie O. or Michelle Obama would wear. (If I wasn't, I probably needed to change clothes.) It's no secret to anyone who really knows me that I like to look, feel, and act my very best at all times. I like to be in control of a situation, and I like to know that the things I am doing are morally and socially acceptable.

So, back to the illegal pontoon ride. Knowing that I would typically say "no" and knowing that I am living the Year of Yes, my answer had to be, "sure!"

Today I hopped into the boat and had a beautiful, illegal ride with my lovely friend on a gorgeous Thursday morning. I didn't allow myself to worry for a moment that we might get pulled over by some sort of Lake Patrol - I just took in the fresh air and the great company. It was pretty wonderful, actually, the not worrying and the being a little adventurous. I'd do it again.

I'm still going to set my cruise control, but perhaps it's time for me to say "yes" to more risky adventures. I will certainly not be compromising my ethics, but I hardly think that an illegal pontoon ride now and then is going to cause the universe to implode.

It may just cause my universe to be a little more fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment